Field Scientist / Internship
NexSteppe is an agricultural company focused on being the leading provider of biomass feedstock solutions for the biofuels, biobased products and biopower industries. Our Hereford, Texas based R&D group has an opening for an enthusiastic field scientist ready to contribute to developing solutions for the next generation of fuel and energy sources.
The field scientist will support the needs of a dynamic, interdisciplinary team responsible for the data collection with aim to improve sorghum feedstocks as dedicated energy crops. This position is anticipated to be active from June to October (allowances possible for students needing to return to school).
- Follow protocols and guidelines set up with breeding, agronomy and chemistry departments for field study.
- Travel to Nexsteppe field locations in Hereford to collect samples and near infra-red spectroscopic data on NexSteppe sorghum crops. Label all collected scans and samples as per protocols.
- Carry out the work plan an outlined by the team in an effective manner on the field, independently without constant supervision.
- Interact with breeding team and with NexSteppe agronomists and receive feedback
- Communicate results of field study on a regular basis, to Chemistry team based in South San Francisco, California in detailed and organized manner.
- Follow protocols rigorously, troubleshoot, and interpret field data if necessary.
- Assist in understanding crop growth and changes in crop composition related to climate, plant physiology and genetic factors using field data.
- Fresh graduate with BS/MS degree in Breeding/Agronomy/Botany/Chemistry or related discipline looking to gain valuable industrial experience and work with state of the art R&D teams.
- Undergraduates with field research experience and PhD students in middle of thesis in the related disciplines are encouraged to apply if they would like to gain industrial experience.
- Ability to drive a vehicle and in possession of a valid and clean driver’s license
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills
- Detail oriented, accurate, and have good organizational and record keeping skills.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, multi-task and remain flexible with changing needs in a fast paced environment.
- Experience with statistics software like DOE, JMP and data analysis skills is a plus.
This role is based out of Hereford, TX.
Compensation TBD, commiserate with experience.
If interested, contact Angela Polston at email@example.com